Post 1953 Kings Own Calgary Regiment Cap Badge.
|Shipping:||Canada: $4.00||International: $4.00|
|Insurance:||Canada/US: $12.00||International: $30.00|
|If insurance is declined the buyer takes all responsibility for damage or loss in shipping.|
Enter an address to purchase this product
Here are the scans for this beautiful post 1953 issue Kings Own Calgary Regiment Cap Badge. This badge was used after the Korean War and until the 1968 reorganization. Tang type attachment is in good order and intact. Quite clean and with the fine design details clear and well preserved. Read some of their proud history below ...
This regiment originated in 1910 with the creation of the 103rd Regiment (Calgary Rifles). Early in WWII, on 16 February 1941, the 14th Army Tank Battalion (Calgary Regiment) was mobilized at Mawatha Barracks, in Calgary. When the Canadian Armored Corps was created, the Calgary Regiment lost its status as an infantry regiment and was transferred to the new corps. A reserve regiment remained in Calgary. The regiment was composed of 400 members of the reserve battalion, also drawing reinforcement personnel from the Seaforth Highlanders and the Loyal Eddies. The original 'A' Squadron was drawn from Olds and district of Alberta, 'B' Squadron from Stettler area, 'C' Squadron from Red Deer, and Headquarters from Calgary, High River, and Okotoks district. In March 1941 the regiment moved to Camp Borden, becoming part of the First Army Tank Brigade. In June 1941, they sailed for Great Britain where they were outfitted with Matilda Tanks which were initially used on the Salisbury Plains, but these were replaced later in the year by the first manufactured Churchills. In August of 1942 the regiment took the Churchill tank into battle for the first time at Dieppe. The regiment was rebuilt after the raid, having left large numbers of tanks and crews behind. In the spring of 1943, Lieutenant-Colonel C.H. Neroutsos took command of the regiment. The new unit went to Sicily in 1943 with the 1st Canadian Army Tank Brigade, re-equipped with the Sherman Tank. On 3 September 1943 the regiment assaulted the beaches of Reggio Calabria to little resistance and moved northwards with notable engagements in Potenza, Motta and Campobasso while supporting the 1st Canadian Division. On 21 November 1943 the regiment supported the 8th Indian Infantry Division in its assault against fierce German opposition on the Sangro River. In December the regiment met stubborn opposition fighting for the Moro River and later Vino Ridge and the Ortona Crossroads. On 11 or 12 May 1944 the regiment assaulted across the Gari River supporting the 19th Indian Brigade of the 8th Indian Division. During this operation, and the advance towards the Hitler Line, the regiment sustained casualties numbering 16 officers, 40 other ranks, and 60 tank casualties. In June of 1944 the Calgaries took part in the Battle of Lake Trasimeno in support of the British 4th Division. By the 3rd of August 1944, the regiment had advanced with the 8th Indian Division to the Arno River. On 25 August 1944 the Calgaries made an assault crossing of the Arno River, east of Florence, pushing into the Sieve Valley where the Gothic Line was assaulted in the "Marradi" sector in support of the 1/5 Gurkha Regiment. In late February 1945 the regiment was moved to Leghorn and embarked for Marseilles, where it went by rail to Northwest Europe. On April 12, 1945 they participated in the second battle of Arnhem, supporting the 49th West Riding Division to Ede, Holland. The regiment's final actions of the Second World War were in support of the 1st Belgium Brigade in clearing the resistance between the Thine and Waal Rivers. When the overseas unit returned to Canada in 1945, it was disbanded, but the Calgary Regiment continued its service as a reserve armoured unit in Calgary to this day ...